July 25, 2014

Guest Post: greek salad recipe

We're wrapping up the week of guest posts with one of my oldest friends, Aubrey. And she's got a great recipe for one of my favorite foods: greek salad. So I hope you enjoy her post as much as I do. 
HI! I'm Aubrey and you can find me over at The Found Life. I love the Lord, I am married to the best man I've ever known and we have two fur kids - a dog, Hubble, and a cat, Phoebe who make our days more interesting! I am pluviophile, and a lover of weird words like that. I am a wedding and lifestyle photographer in Northern Nevada. I've known Lauren for years and years! We met when we were in middle school when we were both living in Germany! I can remember plenty of sleep overs and days of laughter and fun with this sweet girl! She is kind, so nurturing, and encouraging! She is beautiful inside and out and has such a fun laugh! Thankfully over the years we have kept in touch, and I am so thankful for our friendship, and the fact that we can call each other and just cry and pray together! I recently just got back into blogging (on the personal side), so I want to give a huge thanks to Lauren for letting me take over her blog today!


I love to eat (who doesn't!?) but I am a very picky eater, the flavor and texture has to be just right and sadly for me, a lot of what is healthy has either a weird texture or flavor to me. So because I am so picky, when I find a healthy recipe that I love I get super excited! So I wanted to share a recipe for Greek Salad with y'all that I absolutely love!! I am not a chef by any means, but I enjoy cooking (I'll let you clean up any day though!!) and making things my own so I don't follow the recipe too strictly and you can feel free to modify it to fit your own taste.

Greek Salad with Herbed Pita


serves 4
Ingredients:
  • Lemon juice, from 1 lemon
  • Garlic, 1 clove, minced
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • Olive oil, 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons
  • Pita bread, 4 rounds
  • Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon
  • Your favorite salad mixture
  • Cucumber, 1 half-whole
  • Grape tomatoes, as many as you want
  • Olives, black
  • Feta cheese
  • Green onions, 8, thinly sliced, optional
  • Green bell pepper, 1/3, optional
  • Red onion, as much as you want, optional



1. Make the vinaigrette:
In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, and a generous amount of pepper. Gradually whisk in the 1/4 cup of oil until smooth.


*I'm not sure if there is a reason for not mixing all the ingredients together or not, so I just throw them all in the bowl and whisk them together, none of that gradually mixing stuff... :)


2. Warm the pita:
Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Cut each pita into 4 wedges. Arrange on a baking sheet and brush both sides with the 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with the italian seasoning and place in the oven to warm for about 10 minutes.



*I enjoy the pita just a little bit crunchier so I tend to leave it in for a few extra minutes, or if you are running short on time, you can up the temp to 325°F (165°C).


3. Assemble the salad:
Meanwhile, add the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, green bell pepper to the vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Arrange on plates and top with the olives, and feta. Place the warm pita wedges alongside the salads and serve.




*I always cut the wrong amount of the vegetables to add in, so I usually cut them all right before I add them in and like I said up above, feel free to add as many as you want of everything. Cut everything how you like to cut them. I like the cucumbers cut smaller and I usually cut them into 4 pieces and for the tomatoes I prefer cutting them into multiple slices because the pop of the grape tomato when you bite into it (even when cut in half)  is too much for this picky eater.

7 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy and your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is! It's so quick and easy too, so it is our go to meal for days when we don't really feel like cooking!

      Delete
  3. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog. The theme of your blog is very beautiful and the article is written very well about Greek Salad with Herbed Pita. Really, Your style of blog presentation is very attractive and your images also look amazing. Keep posting this type of good work.
    http://www.sonomafarm.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment, however keep in mind "Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."