August 15, 2013

Food for thought.


It's funny how God puts a reminder in front of you at times and then hammers it home. Yesterday's devotional verse was from Romans 12:6 We all have different gifts, each of which came because of the grace God gave us. 

Even as I am writing this post my devotional partner Katie emailed me and gave me her views of the devotional. God's timing, I tell you!

The devotional said, " Identify your strengths, and then...major in them. Failing to focus on our strengths may prevent us from accomplishing the unique tasks God has called us to do." Reading this on top of two of my favorite blogs posts today focusing on personal self confidence and being wonderfully made really merged everything together, for me at least. My take on it is that the Lord made us in His image and he doesn't make mistakes. As women we have a tendency to compare ourselves to others, find flaws with ourselves way too easily, and hardly ever celebrate ourselves (in a genuine, non egotistical way). My prayer this week is that I find my God given strengths and develop them, to love myself (because it makes it easier to love others), and embrace who I am.

It may sound convoluted but in my mind it's all tied together, sorry!

So to get real, I think God blessed me as:

an encourager
a good listener

strong
funny

My sweet friend Katie, sees me as "MAXIMIZER" which means that you work in excellence with everything that you do and that you can take things from below average into something superb. you're also really good at connecting people..."

I'm seriously blessed with the best friends, thank you Katie.
The picture above is from a girls weekend trip to Chicago in May, it brings together two of my God given strengths; strength and my sense of humor. I had been given some upsetting news, that I was going to have to have a procedure done, but stayed strong and didn't let it ruin the weekend. I believe that my sense of humor helps not only me cope with things but allows others to open up as well. I also am surprised by my strength at times. Things I don't think I can deal with or go through-for example Dave's deployment-I get through and am better for it. 

What are your strengths or what do you like about you?


Devotional: Max Lucado, Grace for the Moment. Page 237.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You are so right, loving ourselves makes it easier to love others. I find that I'm friendlier and nicer when I'm happy with who I am....when I'm feeling insecure, that's when jealousy rears its ugly head and my defenses come up. It's crazy how it all ties together. I love that you identified some of the things you love about yourself that God has gifted you with! If you are ever interested in participating in my Wonderfully Made series, let me know--always looking for more awesome women to join in :)

    Ps. tomorrowww! Eeek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to me how many believers try to do things that don't fit their giftings! Sometimes we think we have to do it ALL, which is a lie from the enemy. I'm an encourager, too! And and organizer.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment, however keep in mind "Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."