March 7, 2013

Snow Day and recipes


Yesterday I woke up to a SNOW day! The Federal Government had closed down and I found myself with a glorious day ahead of me of nothing to do. And to make it better my hubby had the day off too. After a delicious home made breakfast made by Dave, I went out and got my hair trimmed and decided on bangs too.

When I got home I spent a good while in the kitchen. There were a couple things on the menu for the week that I could get out of the way. First, I made Dave and my favorite chicken pot pie. Check out the recipe, it seriously is so easy that I've made it a bunch of times this winter. I don't add the vegetables in the pie because Dave doesn't like them, so I add them to my plate separately.

Then I decided to tackle BBQ pork sandwiches. 

Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich
Ingredients:

3 lb pork shoulder
salt
pepper
garlic powder
sage
bottle of BBQ sauce
rolls
  • Pull out your crock pot. Take the pork shoulder and rub with salt, ground black pepper,  garlic powder and sage. 
  • Place pork  in the crock pot with only 1 cup water. You can use beef broth but it tastes just as good with water.
  • Let it cook on low 6-8 hrs or on high for 4 1/2 hours until its fall apart perfect with a touch of the fork. 
  • Take it out and let it sit for 10 minutes and discard the cooking liquids. Clean the crock pot during this time.
  • Shred it with 2 forks or your fingers. 
  • Place back in the cleaned crock pot, coat it with 1 bottle of BBQ sauce, mix it together and let it sit for 1 more hr on low. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment, however keep in mind "Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."