Growing up, my mom hosted a lot of coffee's as an Army spouse and my sister and I used to watch her make chocolate eclair cake with salivating mouths. I would pray that the ladies would get full on coffee and appetizers and would have no room left for cake so that I could eat the leftover. Sometimes I would get lucky, other times I'd have to scrape the dish for scraps. Sad I know.
Yesterday we threw a birthday party for a therapy dog at work. Yes, for a dog, stop judging me. Anyway, we made him home made dog treats (basic dog biscuits) and I made cake for the humans. Nicole (my bestie and co-worker) make cupcakes all the time so I wanted to mix it up. This is such an easy recipe and an instant hit that I suggest you all try it for your next event!
|The birthday boy. We love Willie!|
Chocolate Eclair Cake:
1 - (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping (cool whip), thawed
3 - cups milk
1 - (16 ounce) package graham crackers
1 - (16 ounce) tub prepared chocolate cake frosting
- Pour the dry pudding mix into a bowl and measure out 3 Cups of milk. Pour into the bowl and whisk the pudding until blended and begins to thicken.
- Add the thawed cool whip and gently fold into the pudding mixture.
- Arrange a single layer of graham cracker squares in the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan. Evenly spread half of the pudding mixture over the crackers.
- Top with another layer of graham crackers, then the remaining pudding mixture.
- Top with a final layer of graham crackers.
- Now it is time for the frosting*.
- Chill cake overnight.
*One helpful hint I found online was to defrost the tub of icing for 30-40 seconds. Defrost and mix with a knife and defrost again if need be. This way you can pour it over the top layer of graham crackers. It is so much easier than how we used to do it growing up. Trust me.