November 6, 2012

A little deeper

Everyone it seems on Facebook is participating in this 30 days of Thanks. I want to participate because I have many things to be thankful for but instead of flooding my facebook with daily updates, I'm going to put it on here.
 
I know that sometimes it's easier in life to look at what you don't have, to focus on the negative, and to compare your situation to others. I do that so much more often than I care to admit. I'm trying to be more intentional with the things I say to people, especially to my husband. More often than not people in general (and clearly myself) have the tendency to tear people down when really we should be building them up. I catch myself in the middle of telling Dave how he did something not the way I like it when really it doesn't matter, and I should just be grateful that he did it in the first place. With these 30 days of thankfulness I'm going to try and focus on all the amazing things the Lord has blessed me with and I hope that you'll look into your own life and find the good in it.
 
I am thankful for:
  • the freedom of religion. I love the fact that I can say what I want out loud at any place and any time. It's amazing and it's something we Christian's tend to take for granted.
  • my husband. He is the most generous, kind man I know. His unfailing love is something I still can't understand. I'm so lucky to have the love of this man for the rest of my life.
  • for technology. As much as I hate that everyone is constantly on their phones and personal interaction seems to be a thing of the past, I'm so thankful for technology because it allows me to stay in contact with loved ones around the globe. Thank you Skype!
  • my sister. She's an amazing person and she inspires me on a daily basis.
  • sisterly love. I'm fortunate enough to not only be blessed with a sister but to get a long with her and genuinely like her. I hope in the coming years we continue to grow closer.
  • my amazing friends.
  • crafting cards
  • my best friend and the fact that though things are changing in our lives that she still makes time for me
  • financial stability
  • a job to go to every day
  • the generosity of others
  • service men and women especially those I work with at Walter Reed who have been wounded
  • my family and how close we all are
  • my husband's patience
  • foot rubs from Dave when they hurt
  • health care
  • snail mail
  • the feeling of safety in my relationship
  • possibilities. whether it's the possibility of moving or buying a house it's very exciting and I'm lucky to have them.
  • carpooling. I love the HOV lane and that we can zoom by everyone else. Thanks Nicole, Antoinette, and Camille for being extra bodies in the car!
  • babies...no, not mine. but friends....Blake, and Megan's baby due in March
  • my parents and their unconditional love
  • struggles and dark times that have brought me to where I am today
  • my healthy body. I'm so blessed to have the gift of sight, the ability to walk and be in good health.
  • God's love. his footprints in the sand when he's carried me through tough times.
  • a roof over my head...and for sharing it with the most amazing man I've ever known
  • grandparents and their stories
  • hugs
  • tears
  • today, each and every day is a gift (cliche I know) but it is.
 Every Sunday at my old church we used to sing this song and every.single.time I would tear up. How true it is. It's simple and amazing.
 
GIVE THANKS
WITH A GRATEFUL HEART
GIVE THANKS
TO THE HOLY ONE
GIVE THANKS
FOR HE'S GIVEN
JESUS CHRIST, HIS SON
 
AND NOW LET THE WEAK SAY
I AM STRONG
LET THE POOR SAY
I AM RICH
BECAUSE OF WHAT
THE LORD HAS DONE
FOR US
GIVE THANKS...
 

1 comment:

  1. A great post and a great reminder to all of us. I like that you mentioned your gratitude for health. I think it is one of those things that we can so easily take advantage of but it is so amazing when we have good health! I need to remember to be thankful for this more often. Just found your blog and have enjoyed getting to know you more. Hope you don't mind if I follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment, however keep in mind "Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."