October 3, 2012

Food for thought

Yesterday I met with a nutritionist, it was really helpful and informative. At first I'm pretty sure the nutritionist was a bit shocked that someone of my weight was coming in to talk about healthy eating, she usually deals with people that are overweight or have diabetes. I went in to talk to her because at this point in my life my metabolism is slowing down and so far I've been lucky enough to not have to think about what I eat.
my plate
I dont' think I'll always be so lucky so it's better to get into the habit of healthy eating before it's too late. Basically I learned portion sizes matter, I should be eating wheat pasta and bread instead of white, I need to be drinking milk, and there are healthier ways to snack. I also learned that I should be eating much more fruit and vegetables, olive oil is best to cook in, and margarine with canola oil is the best choice. My diet isn't the only thing I should be improving upon either. Exercise is important, whether it's walking 3 times a week or finding a sport to play (tennis!) on the weekends. The key is to get my heart rate up for 20 minutes or more, and to realize I don't have to go to the gym at 4:30 in the morning and get on the machines or take crazy classes. I need to find a good balance for myself with eating right and getting out and exercising. Hopefully I can do that and still enjoy meal time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment, however keep in mind "Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."